SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Crunchy Boat...That I missed

I got married at 19. Before I was married I was a college student and planning a wedding. After, I moved  my entire life to the U.S. and settled myself into a new area started a new job and was back at school. Somewhere in this time I think the boat took off without me, or maybe I just decided to not get on?

Lets be honest, I am not a crunchy person. The oils, the natural births, the no high fructose corn syrup, no nitrates, all that stuff. Yea, I missed most of that. And then all the sudden I'm like, what is eucalyptus oil? (Apparently if you put it in your kids rooms you can take their common cold and cough symptoms edge off?? )

Its not that I don't believe in the importance of good health, I just was raised on the occasional hotdog and slice of bacon along with a treat of coca cola. My mom did the whole natural birth thing, and I consider it when I think of more children but then...I REMEMBER. And I am like praise the Lord for human intelligence that created such a great thing as an epidural :) I don't have a particularly high pain tolerance and may or may not have been referred to as 'low tol' once or twice before.

I read an article once on how you should not feed your kids nitrates they're bad for them, carcinogens, and so on. But then I found out our bodies actually make nitrates...Bacon for all! Not exactly, it just reminds me that my Organic research was useful in other areas as well. Eating well is important, and the occasional nitrate hotdog or delicious nitrate cured bacon in the morning won't kill you.
And then I read this article and loved it. Perfect. I love his choice words "Maybe we need to not swallow as much". 

I haven't got too much to say about the high fructose corn syrup. I really don't think its great for health. It usually means high sugar content and that means sugar crashes and extra weight. Not even to mention what work it puts your body through. But again, I am not going to say its bad to drink it occasionally. My father-in-law would completely disagree as he is pretty healthy and he has AT LEAST a coke a day.

I try to be a little bit more on the crunchy side, but I just can't do it like some others I believe in eating your fruits and vegetables and more recently the HUGE importance of water.  But beyond that things just fall where they like. If I have a craving I'll be the first to admit I just plain fall for it, my insides are made of chocolate and pastries, and I love a good cupcake. 
But I push my children to try good foods but again, my kids eat what I eat and that includes the occasional chocolate, and they've had soda before.
The point of it all, I am not crunchy, but like organic foods, you don't need to be a certain way or feed your kids a particular way to be a good mama!

 

2 comments :

  1. Loved your post on the organic. While not a mama, and am likely to monitor sugar intake for any children the future may bring, I am a big proponent of "moderation in all things". God made our bodies incredibility resilient! (Just imagine think how many people died in the middle ages! Led plates, led pipes,....the list goes on.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree whole heartedly! He made us in his likeness!

      Delete

I love reading comments!!